Home Remedies for UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are more common in women than men because distance between the urethra and the anus is much shorter and closer in women, thereby making women more susceptible to UTI. People suffering from UTI have a constant urge to visit the toilet. The bacterium Coli is the cause of most of the urinary tract infections, while Staphylococcus saprophyticus is the cause in some of the cases. Very rarely it develops due to viral or fungal infections. People who are suffering with UTI for more than two days require medical treatment as untreated UTI can infect the kidneys and turn into a much more severe condition. Home remedies for Urinary Tract Infection are very useful.
Symptoms of UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)
At times a person suffering with UTI may not experience any symptoms at all. Still some of the common symptoms as experienced by UTI sufferers are given below:
- Burning sensation or pain in bladder or urethra or during urination
- Back pain
- There may be blood or pus in urine.
- An urgent need to visit to toilet but passing only little amount of urine.
Causes of UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)
- Sexual activity is the main reason of bladder infection for young women.
- For elder women after menopause, as the estrogen levels decrease, the risk of UTI increases due to the loss of protective vaginal flora.
- The bladder infections may run in families also.
- The main reason of UTI in children is an abnormal movement of urine from the bladder into kidneys.
- Children who generally face constipation may also get infected with UTI.
- Prolonged use of catheter also results in UTI.
- People who get hospitalized due to some reason also get suffer with UTI.
There are many home remedies which you can try to overcome this problem. Although these home remedies for urinary tract infection are quite effective, if your infection is severe we will suggest you to see your doctor. In such cases you can still continue using these home remedies.
- Intake of vitamin C in any kind will help you in keeping your bladder healthy. This is one the most effective home remedies for urinary tract infection.
- Drinking 2-4 glasses of cranberry juice a day is a good home remedy to counter UTI.
- Taking blueberries in your food is one of the effective home remedies to prevent UTI
- Pineapples are rich source of the enzyme Bromelain. This enzyme is helpful to get rid of UTI. Hence, eating pineapple is good home remedy for urinary tract infection.
- Drink as much water as you can. Drinking about 250 ml of water every hour will help flush out the bacteria through urine.
- If the infection is causing pain in your lower abdomen you may use hot water bottle to get ease from pain.
This also helps for UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)
- If you are suffering from UTI stop consumption of alcohol and caffeinated drinks. They work like an irritant to your bladder.
- Wipe from front to back after urinating. This practice keeps the bacteria away from getting close to the urethra.
Precautions while you use Home remedies for UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)
- Never hold your urine. It will grow bacteria and you are more likely to have UTI.
- Use cotton underwear or underwear with cotton lining. It will help these areas to stay fresh and dry.